Technical
Site

Related Links

Minutes of the Technical Standing Committee

2017-07-04 Agreed that we would not continuously edit the drafts on the website, but will batch up changes and issue revised drafts from time to time.

2017-06-29 Announced first pulic drafts of the Citation Elements: General Concepts and Citation Elements: RDFa bindings standard for public review.

2017-06-29 Agreed in discussion with the Board that standards and draft standards will have stable URLs beginning http://fhiso.org/TR/, and configured the webservers accordingly.

2017-06-13 Held a TSC meeting by Google Hangout. Discussion focused on certain details of the ELF Serialization draft, which now includes an extensibility mechanism. It was agreed:

2017-06-13 Noted from the 13 June Board meeting:

2017-06-08 Approved vocabularies policy as a FHISO technical policy, and an updated priorities document as a non-binding indication of the TSC's current direction. Also approved the creation of a Technical Project Team as a formal means of allowing the current exploratory work to continue into the project development phase in a "committee of the whole".

2017-05-29 Noted that Luther had produced first exploratory drafts of an ELF: Serialization Format and ELF: Data Model. These did not currently include an extensibility mechanism.

2017-05-25 Noted that Richard had produced a first exploratory draft of a Citation Elements: General Concepts and Basic Framework standard, and had closed the dev-2017-01 branch. The draft does not currently support layererd citations.

2017-05-22 Noted that Richard had produced a first exploratory draft of a Citation Elements: RDFa bindings standard.

2017-05-19 Noted that Richard had made available a first exploratory draft of a Citation Elements: GEDCOM X bindings standard. Further work is required before becoming a public draft as this draft is based on an earlier version of the data model without translation sets.

2017-05-17 Held a TSC meeting by Google Hangout. During a productive conversation about the serialisation of citation elements it was recognised that users may be reluctant to discard formatted citation in favour of citation element sets due to the work that goes into producing professional formatted citations. Could we allow elements to be tagged in a formatted citation? It was agreed to explore the use of RDFa atributes in HTML as a possible means of doing this.

2017-03-16 Noted from the 16 March Board meeting that it was agreed that standards produced by FHISO would be licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution Licence.

2017-02-16 Held a TSC meeting by Google Hangout.

2017-01-31 Noted that Luther than produced a first exploratory draft of an ELF standard.

2016-12-27 Identified our current technical priorities to be:

  1. a core citation element vocabulary (CEV) standard;
  2. a less technical primer or overview to the CEV and its bindings;
  3. CEV bindings for GEDCOM X;
  4. CEV bindings for ELF; and
  5. an ELF extensibility mechanism.

2016-12-26 Proposed that FHISO develop a serialisation format that is backwards compatibility with current GEDCOM, but that supports an extensibility mechanism that would prevent different vendors' extensions from conflicting. After informal discussion with the Board, the working name ELF (Extended Legacy Format) has been chosen for this work to avoid any intellectual property issues that might arise by calling it a version of GEDCOM.

2016-12-15 Instigated discussion with the Board regarding the how FHISO's present proposed technical work would fit into the wider genealogical ecosystem, and why vendors might choose to adopt our work.

2016-11-11 Held a phone meeting to try to kick-start development again, and to remind ourselves where we had reached.

2016-05-09 Announced a first exploratory draft of the introduction to the Citation Element Vocabulary standard, giving details of the data model.

2016-04-19 Proposed and had passed a motion at the Board Meeting to add by-laws material regarding the ratification of standards (which was previously in the O&PM but should not be within the scope of the TSC to change).

2016-04-19 Proposed and had passed a motion at the Board Meeting to remove reference to details of technical governance, such as the O&PM and Project Teams.

2016-03-22 Suspended the S&CEG in order to focus on our priorities in a "committee of the whole" per our interim governance structure.

2016-02-17 Announced our interim governance structure which will apply as we work towards our new priorities.

2016-02-16 Approved our priorities and technical strategy documents as non-binding statements of TSC guidance. Approved vocabularies policy as a draft for wider comment on tsc-public.

2016-01-19 Presented our draft priorities, technical strategy, and vocabularies policy at the 19 January Board meeting, where it was agreed that we should make any final changes and release them to tsc-public for further discussion.

2016-01-07 Produced a short draft document listing our immediate priorities, and a longer draft technical strategy paper.

2015-12-07 Published a draft policy on the prefered use of vocabularies, and amended the style guide to say that "FHISO standards will normally be made available in both HTML and PDF formats".

2015-11-27 Noted that the 27 November Board meeting, in consultation with the TSC, recommended:

2015-11-22 Deployed the new technical website.

2015-11-21 Thanked the Board for approving the updated Operations & Policy Manual.

2015-11-20 Proposed some minor modifications to the Operations & Policy Manual to the Board for approval.

2015-08-21 Produced the first draft of a new technical website for the TSC, automatically updating its content from Github repositories.

2015-08-17 Suggested to the S&CEG that FHISO's general policy should be to use URIs as metadata identifiers.

2015-06-19 Suspended the CCEG in order to prioritise the work of the S&CEG; the CCEG mailing list had been silent for three months, they have no Coordinator, and none of its members have been active recently.

2015-06-15 Reported to the S&CEG on a possible opportunity to work with FamilySearch on a representation of source metadata.

2015-04-10 Announced the creation of the Sources & Citations EG, and approved their directives.

2015-02-27 Accepted with regret the resignation of Justin York to be Coordinator of the CCEG. Without a Coordinator or any active members, the CCEG is effectively dormant.

2015-01-14 Appointed Sue Adams to be Coordinator of the Sources & Citations EG.

2015-01-14 Agreed on a suggested prioritisation of CCEG work.

2015-01-06 Noted that the Board, in consultation with the TSC, have recommended the prioritisation of three areas of technical work:

  1. further standardisation of GEDCOM and/or GEDCOM-X;
  2. a new sources and citations standard;
  3. a new research transfer format.

2014-11-26 Noted a commitment from Nick Hall to work on the Sources & Citations EG.

2014-10-16 Resolved that the collection of use cases and user stories and the recommendation of functional requirements in a particular subject area shall ordinarily be considered exploratory work, per section 1.2 of the Operations & Policy Manual, and conducted by the specific technical group or groups tasked with work in that area.

2014-10-08 Noted a commitment from Diane Rogers to work on the Sources & Citations EG.

2014-10-08 Noted a commitment from Richard Tallent to work on the Core Concepts EG as an associate member.

2014-10-08 Noted a commitment from Richard Tallent to work on the Sources & Citations EG as an associate member.

2014-10-04 Announced the creation of the Lexicon EG and the informal FHISO bibliography.

2014-10-02 Approved the LexEG's directives.

2014-09-30 Appointed Tony Proctor to be Coordinator of the LexEG

2014-09-26 Produced draft directives for review by the initial LexEG members.

2014-09-25 Noted a commitment from Elizabeth Shown Mills to work on the Lexicon EG.

2014-09-23 Announced the creation of the Core Concepts EG, and approved its directives.

2014-09-20 Noted a commitment from Jan Murphy to work on the CCEG.

2014-09-16 Approved a proposal by Tony Proctor to start an informal FHISO bibliography and appointed Tony its editor.

2014-09-16 Selected GitHub as our preferred collaboration platform for producing technical documents on the recommendation of the CCEG Coordinator.

2014-09-12 Appointed Justin York to be Coordinator of the CCEG.

2014-09-09 Noted a commitment from Constance Horne to work on the CCEG as an associate member.

2014-09-09 Produced a policy on document formats produced by EGs.

2014-09-08 Noted the resignation of Thomas Wetmore from the CCEG.

2014-09-05 Produced guidelines on the use of the tsc-public list.

2014-09-01 Produced draft directives for review by the initial CCEG members.

2014-08-29 Noted a commitment from John Tracy Cunningham to work on the Lexicon EG.

2014-08-28 Thanked the Board for approving the Operations & Policy Manual with minor changes, and made it public on the website.

2014-08-26 Accepted and announced a proposal from Tony Proctor for a Lexicon EG.

2014-08-26 Noted a commitment from Thomas Wetmore to work on the Core Concepts EG.

2014-08-26 Submitted the Operations & Policy Manual to the Board for approval.

2014-08-26 Noted a commitment from Sue Adams to work on the Sources & Citations EG.

2014-08-25 Noted a commitment from Justin York to work on the Core Concepts EG.

2014-08-20 Resolved that CFPS papers need to be stand-alone documents, that any links or citations need to be supporting information but not the meat of the paper.

2014-08-16 Noted a proposal from Tony Proctor to split the Core Concepts EG in two, one part to produce a lexicon of terms, the other to determine the project scope. Suggested further discussion should occur on the tsc-public list.

2014-08-16 Noted a commitment from Nick Matthews to work on the Core Concepts EG.

2014-08-15 Announced the start of technical work.

2014-08-15 Proposed four initial exploratory groups: Core Concepts, Modularity, Data Formalism, and Sources & Citations

2014-08-15 Thanked the Board for approving the TSC Charter.